The recent demo update was a big jump from the last version so there were bound to be a few un-spotted issues with it. I’ve just updated it to fix a few things.
The Scraps Builder Demo version 0.3.0.0 is now available, bringing a lot of changes from the internal dev version of the game to the demo.
You can download it here as usual.
2014-12 – 0.3.0.0
- New Plasma Artillery and Medium Laser weapons
– New cooling parts and a heat management system
– Updated, auto-scaled in-game GUI
– Test map cubes are a bit harder to destroy
– Can now drag parts from the inventory on the build screen (clicking is still suggested, because you can rotate the view while holding parts)
– Real-time shadows and baked shadows work at the same time
– More bump mapping etc in terrain graphics
– Major game performance boost
– Partial redesign of cockpit part
– Build screen categories are now icons with tooltips
– Tooltips show right away on Build screen parts, and sometimes have some more information than before
– Updated the game engine from Unity 4.5 to 4.6
– Improvement to part pickup so held parts are more centered on the mouse
– Some driving physics tweaks (still needs some major work at some point)
– Some weapons now have a max range
– Finally changed Test Map skybox to something that isn’t one of the ones that comes with Unity
– Major balance pass to part stats. Many costs and other stats of parts have been adjusted
– Can’t watch vehicles being built while loading them anymore. Sorry.
- NOTE: The cockpit vis check camera had to change a little, which may potentially make previously OK vehicles not OK
- NOTE2: Large cannon collider also changed a little – this could invalidate parts on old vehicles
- NOTE3!: Gunpowder weapons now need mostly cooling instead of power
– Fixed vehicle naming so “New Vehicle” isn’t reused when a vehicle of that name already exists
– Stopped smoke moving in the “up” direction of the vehicle instead of world-space up
– Fixed large cannon barrel starting partially retracted
– SMG auto-adjust for really old vehicle saves now handles rotated SMGs correctly
– Various other small fixes
All parts that I want to be in for the initial alpha release are now done.
Recently I’ve been finally adding some new parts that are needed for the full version. Remember this diagram from the Kickstarter?
I’m back from PAX Australia. What a huge event. The Melbourne Convention centre is massive, lots of people came though, lots of cool games that I wish I had more time to check out.
Not much time for a big update today. Scraps will be at PAX Australia in Melbourne this time next week with playable multiplayer. And here’s a video of the in-progress AI fighting amongst themselves: