This update brings a new aiming mode which is now the default, where selected weapons will only fire if they’re aiming near where you’re aiming.
You can press R to switch the mode on and off. It’s super useful for vehicles with weapons facing in different directions, and actually pretty useful for any type of vehicle (except ones with no weapons…).
This update also adds score multipliers that come from destroying vehicles without getting destroyed. At the top left you’ll see a “x2” etc after destroying vehicles (up to a maximum x3) – if you destroy someone when you’re at x2 for instance, you’ll get double points.
Basically the idea is to add some incentive to try and stay alive and repair/upgrade when damaged, versus the alternative of self-destructing. Although self-destruct loses you a point and potentially gives a point to someone else, the extra time spent on the Build screen not earning points sometimes offsets that alone. In the future I’m also planning to make repairing able to automatically add back parts that have been destroyed, which should speed up time spent on the build screen a little. Anyway, it’s fun to try and stay alive and kicking.
The multiplier system will quite possibly need some tweaking for balance – I’ll see how it goes.
2015-08 – 0.5.1.2
– Added “proximity firing” mode, now on by default. Sets weapons to fire only if they’re aiming near the crosshair. Press R to switch.
– Added score multipliers for “killstreaks” – destroying multiple vehicles without being destroyed.
– Changed the assist points system a little in regards to vehicles that destroy themselves.
– Some general wreckage balancing. Also made wreckage easier to pick up.
– Sped up aim around in chase cam camera mode.
– Made game camera always default to the orbit cam on entering a new game. Having the camera save its setting only really caused confusion.
– Balance: Increased collision damage a little.
– Fixed a bug with terrain dirt FX.