Having 50+ people play scraps over the weekend showed up a few issues. The latest builder release (0.2.5) tries to address these. I also silently put up a 0.2.4 release about a week ago which contained some other fixes.
The things I noticed were:
1. A lot of people try to click and drag parts while holding the mouse button instead of clicking and then dragging. I knew this happened but I didn’t realise that so many people would try it this way first – probably a third. It was a bit ugly because not only did it not pick up the part but it dragged the tooltip along which is a bit confusing.
So ideally I’d allow either method, but that’d take a few code changes and be slightly hacky since the GUI normally only detects button up events rather than button down. I’ve fixed the tooltip issue so at least it’s more obvious that your drag didn’t work. I’ve also pushed the tooltip updates to my Asset Store tooltips so now you can auto-hide tooltips based on distance moved.
2. The random freezing of physics happens quite a lot. Another one that was known but I didn’t realise how often it happened. Sometimes the physics froze on the build screen for no good reason, with Freeze Physics still unticked. I never found a reliable way to reproduce this but it’s probably fixed now. I found some dodgy code that was most likely causing it and fixed it up.
3. On two occasions someone placed a weapon and it’d spin around forever, including into areas it shouldn’t be able to move. This turned out to only happen when a weapon’s min horizontal angle was reduced to exactly 0 degrees. In the code it’d come out as 360, which of course is technically correct but since it’s represented internally as 0, the weapon would never quite get there causing it to spin around forever.
Altogether, the changes since the last posted update are:
2013-10 – 0.2.5
- Just a few minor tweaks to things
- [Build screen] Hopefully fixed the occasional random freezing of physics
- [Build screen] Stopped tooltips staying up when people drag things instead of clicking them
- Fixed some more weapon available range calc stuff
- [Game] Ever had a weapon just kinda randomly spin around instead of aiming where it should? Fixed that too
2013-09 – 0.2.4
- Fixed up 3D sound settings
- [Build screen] Fixed hovering over weapons affecting the results of the cockpit visibility test
- Reinstated the two mysteriously missing snap points on large engine
- [Build screen]Fixed build screen lighting
- [Game] Fixed the small blip of audio that happened when pausing, minimising and then restoring
- [Build screen] Fixed weapon range display showing up through other parts (the code for this was really dumb – what was I thinking?)
- Improved weapon range calculations so weapons shouldn’t slightly clip through stuff anymore (maybe)