I designed Scraps with multiple language support in mind, and over time a few different people have offered to do translations, but there were a few things missing that I wasn’t ready to commit to just yet. After a new thread was created about language support recently I decided that there wasn’t really any harm in enabling people to create translations if they want to.
I didn’t really expect anyone to actually translate the whole English file as there’s quite a lot of text in the game already, and I can’t offer any compensation in return. Almost immediately though I got a full Romanian file thanks to Vladdy290 on the forum, with everything properly translated (as far as I can tell at least) and every formatting mark left in place exactly where it was required. I’m super impressed!
There are a few things that language support still doesn’t cover:
- Only English-style plurals are currently supported; that is, a version of the text for one of something, and another version for anything else.
- In-game, part names are not yet translated. Neither is the controls list on the control options screen (although the information at the bottom is).
- Some parts of the game will automatically resize their buttons etc to fit any length of text, but others won’t at the moment. If translation text ends up too long, I can adjust the space later, but if possible please try to keep things within reasonable length. e.g. Don’t translate “OK” into the equivalent of “That is absolutely fine with me” if you can make it shorter.
There are a few other minor things, like Arabic text being left aligned in some places where it should be right aligned. Nothing that’s really hard to fix, but other tasks have higher priority than minor language fixes for now. It works enough that other language files can be dropped in and tested at least.
I’ve put up a builder demo update that has the multi-language support (Options->Game->Language) and I’ve dropped in the Romanian translation from Vladdy290 as an initial extra option. It also has a few other minor changes, mostly in response to reported issues with the last version:
2014-04 – 0.2.10.2
– Added basic multiple language support
– Improved exception handling for some file operations
– Added game credits button on the main menu
– Improved engine sound when going over max speed (e.g. travelling down steep hills)
– Fixed a graphics options bug with view distance
– Fixed a bug with ground landing effects playing when they shouldn’t
– Fixed a bug with ground movement effects not playing when they should
Almost forgot: I’ve also put the octree I wrote for Scraps up on GitHub under a BSD licence. It’s a dynamic, loose, general-purpose octree implementation. Someone can probably make it faster and better than I managed, but it may be useful to some Unity or C# devs. It’s easy to use and pretty efficient. Get it here.