I’ve been getting a lot of good suggestions for parts, but many of them I’ve already got planned and they’re just not in yet. Here’s my current Big List Of Parts For The Game:
- Chassis (Small/Medium/Large) (Wheeled/Tracked/Hover/Flying?)
- Armour (physical, energy shield around vehicle)
- Blocks (extenders, streamlining, ballast, wedge shape like a cowcatcher)
- Cooling (passive, active)
- Movement (engines, thrusters, brakes, anti-roll modules, clip-on stabiliser wheels)
- Power (generators, capacitors)
- Weapons (fixed & turret, projectile & ray, rocket normal & homing) – + “droppers” like mines etc + melee (spikes, jackhammer)?
- Misc (HUD improvements e.g. radar, showing where weapon will hit taking into account current velocity, radar jammer, scope, headlights for night maps?, side stabilisers (prevent tipping over when shooting big guns))
Streamlining parts will make sense once I actually model aerodynamics. At the moment all vehicles have the same amount of drag.
Cooling isn’t in yet but some/all weapons will require cooling as well as power. Weapons themselves I’d like to split into gunpowder and energy variants. Maybe make gunpowder weapons not need power generation at all, only cooling. Then make electric weapons (e.g. lasers) more powerful, but requiring cooling AND power.
Thrusters would allow some control of the vehicle while it’s in the air, and would be a must if I can get flying vehicles in.
Of course all this depends on how it actually plays and time constraints. If enough people actually buy the game then I’ll continue adding more stuff over time à la Minecraft or TF2.
In news today, I’m one of the contenders for the Indie Dev Grant in the latest Bundle In A Box. Bundle In A Box is a game bundle similar to the Humble Bundle, and 15% of earnings from it go to one developer to help them make a game. If you buy a bundle, you can vote for one of the nominated devs, and the dev with the most votes gets the grant. I could earn some actual money.
The game also got featured on Rock, Paper Shotgun which has been a great boost in interest.